Bicycle panniers – a brief guide which bike panniers to buy.
- Safety. Panniers carry our belongings. When they fail it will make our trip impossible. Long warranty protection can make us sure, that constructors have used the best materials and modern production technology.
- Weight. It is worth to compare this feature with the advantage to your legs. This will also let us know more about technology. Primitive constructions are much heavier than others.
- Volume. The bigger the panniers the easiest packing will be. The biggest (40-50 l), are carried on the rear rack. Extrawheel trailer is a good solution. It will carry your panniers, relieve the bike and assure with a spare wheel.
- Material. Panniers made of Cordura are light and strong but they are hard to clean. PVC is less stronger and possible abrasion can be easily fixed. When taking care of them they will work for many years. PVC can be easily cleaned. Both types are water – resistant.
- Water-resistance. Only panniers with roller type closure are 100 % waterproof. They will handle passage across the river. If we do not plan to “take a bath”, protection against rain will assure hood type closure.
- Fixing system. The ideal one will keep panniers in place and attachment will be a pleasure. A stiffening plate is very important. If it is too soft, this will affect the traction, as it happens in homegrown constructions.
- Equipment. A useful thing might be a carrying handle and shoulder strap. Additional pockets for trinkets can be replaced by handlebar bag. It is safer to keep an eye on them.